Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and what better way to celebrate mom, than to give her a few gifts that will help her to feel her best and encourage her to practice self-care. A little bit of self-care can go a long way, especially for a mom.
On Friday, I had the opportunity to join Markette Shepard and Chris Leary on Great Day Washington. We talked about some great self-care inspired gift ideas for moms and moms-to-be this Mother’s Day.
For a recap of the gifts we talked about and more, check out these great self-care gift ideas for different types of moms:
• Pure Nurture Book: It’s the essential guide to self-care during pregnancy. A short and sweet inspirational guide for moms-to-be, inspiring them to practice more self-care and ultimately creating a healthier foundation for their growing baby. After all, self-care is baby-care!
• Coconut Oil or Sesame Oil: Keep skin smooth, soft and hydrated with a natural product, no added ingredients or toxic chemicals. Which is even more important during pregnancy. Moms-to-be often focus on the quality of the food they are eating. However, sometimes forget that the skin is our biggest organ. Everything that you put on your skin will be absorbed by the body and can make its way to the baby. Natural cold-pressed oils, like coconut oil are a great option. It can also help to prevent stretch marks. It’s is great to massage with the oil before or after your shower. Coconut also makes a great eye-make up remover. I could go on and on about all the benefits of this product.
• Journal: Keeping a journal is a great way to practice gratitude. Even if you’re not a fan of writing, keeping a list of 4 or 5 things you feel grateful for each day can be incredibly supportive and healing. Keeping a journal can also help mom keep track of diaper changes, feedings and the baby’s sleep schedule. It’s also a place where mom can write notes about how they’re feeling. I used my journal to write letters to my little ones. I then put the journals in a keepsake box for later. A little time capsule for each of my girls that they can open on their 18th birthdays.
• Dark Chocolate: These are a decadent treat packed with antioxidants and great for or moms avoiding coffee while nursing. I love chocolate and have a stash at all times. I love eating a square after lunch and dinner. Not only does it taste delicious, but it is also a mini stress reliever. The best brands are organic have the fewest ingredients. One of my favorite brands is Alter Eco. It’s organic, fair-traded and GMO-free.
Busy working moms
• Non-toxic Nail Polish for an at home manicure and pedicure. Just like the skin, the nails also absorb whatever you put on them. Most nail polishes are full of toxic ingredients that we want to avoid. For this reason, I recommend a few brands that are free of the top 3 to five chemicals we want to avoid. (This is especially important information for pregnant women and kids.) Check out Scotch Naturals, Mineral Fusion or Butter.
• Essential Oils: Essential oils are a great way for busy working moms to de-stress and relax, especially coming to and from the office. I recommend the Aura Cacia Aromatherapy Car Diffuser, and some of my favorite oils, which include Orange, Peppermint, and Lavender!
• A candle: Mindfulness at meal time. How we eat is just as important as what we eat. Lighting a candle, taking a few deep breaths and saying a prayer or a thought of gratitude can help make mealtime a special time for mom. Slowing down and relaxing at meal time will help our digestion to effectively do its job and allow our bodies to absorb more nutrients. Candles can emit toxins into the air when being burned, for this reason I recommend looking for an unscented candle made from soy or beeswax.
• Mason Jars: My favorite gift idea on the list! This is the most versatile gift and are a great for any type of mom. A great alternative to plastics, mason jars are inexpensive and they are good for you, your family and the planet. They make great food storage containers. Fill them up for trail mix on the go, a smoothie-to-go, overnight oats and more! For your smoothies- in the evening put all of your prepped ingredients for your morning smoothie in a mason jar. In the morning, pull the jar from the fridge and dump all the ingredients into the blender. When blended, pour back in the mason jar and take it with you to go! (Fantastic for all types of moms.) They also make cute flower vases.
• Tennis ball and/or lacrosse ball: These are inexpensive and easy to find and portable. Massage your feet, legs and glutes with a tennis ball. It a great way to do a self-massage and release “knots” or “trigger points”. Similar to a foam roller, but more precise and easier to take with you on the go. Lacrosse balls are much harder and can be used for the back and shoulders. Go gently at first and research the best ways to use these tools. I give myself a food massage with a tennis ball almost every night before bed and take one with me when I travel.
• Water Bottle: LifeFactory is my all-time favorite. These are glass, non-toxic, and available in fun colors and different sizes. They come with a protective silicon over the glass, which allows them to be more durable. They also offer flip lids and lids with a straw. I recommend the flip lid over the straw. Drinking through a straw can cause you to swallow extra air, which could create bloating a gas- and who wants that!?
Being a mom is one of the hardest and most fulfilling “jobs” in the world. Moms deserve so much love, care and appreciation. Not only from others, but from ourselves. One of these ideas will be a perfect little gift or create a self-care package or basket and fill it with a few of these items plus a few more that you know would be perfect for your special mom (even if it’s a gift for yourself!). Treat yourself or that special mom in your life to a self-care gift she can use on Mother’s Day and for years to come.
Watch the full Mother’s Day Segment here.